Friday, September 6, 2013

it's okay

Reading Girl Meet's Life's "It's Okay"post earlier today really helped me clear some things up in my head.

I've never been a fan of my own birthday. It falls a little before Halloween.. enough that it's not a Halloween-Birthday, but any plans I've attempted usually gets upstaged by Halloween. Despite hating attention from others, I hate my birthday. I've found that the older I've gotten, the more I've enjoyed it. Partly from me just loosening up, and also because the older we get the less we care about the scene that Halloween takes on in NYC.

In the past year, there has been new people in my social circle that care about planning events -- birthdays, holidays, etc. This puts the pressure on something I couldn't care less about. Nearly two months prior to my birthday I was asked what day I'd be celebrating on. Really?! I haven't even made plans for next weekend yet (well, that's a lie because it's Yom Kippur, so I do have plans).

I have to remind myself to take a breath and not be annoyed by this.

It's okay to be in your mid-to-late-twenties and no longer make a big deal out your birthday.

Then it dawned on me: I'm going to be turning 27 on the 27th! It's my golden/champagne birthday! So although I refuse to make plans so far in advance, I do know one thing --- I will be popping bottles.
This of course leads my brain to think about how much I'd love to just have my friends over our apartment on my birthday (a Sunday) for brunch and champagne. I then remember that we live in a tiny studio, but only until April 2014. This leads my brain to deciding to look to see what 1-bedroom apartments we can afford in the neighborhood. If you know anything about the Manhattan rental market, it's that you basically can only realistically start looking for a new apartment a few weeks prior to moving. It's stressful and terrible.

It's okay to be unrealistically daydreaming of our future apartment... which would be perfect for a Champagne Birthday.
Moral of the story: It's okay to let your mind wander - it's good for your mental health.

2 comments:

  1. So "birthday ruined thing" happens with others too? My birthday is always in the Back To School days and it's rare if somebody in my social circle remembers that it's my big day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally feel you! Birthdays can really be the worst. Such a first world problem we have. ;)

      Delete